Living a Life Free of Regrets
One of the many reasons why people may be unhappy is because they live with regrets. We all make mistakes. The important thing is to learn from the mistake and not dwell on it. Wondering “what if” can become quite a destructive though process. The easiest way to live regret free is to not give into thoughts, actions and behaviors that can create this emotion. One way we can achieve this is by learning from the past experience of others.
- I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me. We shouldn’t be making decisions based purely on what others might think of us or to conform. Look at the pros and cons, then make the decision that you feel is best. After all, you are the only you, and you would know best.
- I wish I hadn’t worked so hard. Often times we are mislead into thinking we need the biggest and the brightest. “Keeping up with the Joneses”. With this mentality we lose sight of what truly matters. Take time to smell the roses.
- I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings. If you disapprove of or are uncomfortable with a certain situation, behavior or action, then speak your mind. Silence is generally regarded as a sign of approval. The only way to make a change is to voice your opinion.
- I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends. We all get caught up in life. Working jobs, raising children and dealing with relationship or personal problems can be time consuming and exhausting. We should still make time for friends. It can be as simple as sending a letter, writing an e-mail or going out to lunch once a month.
- I wish that I had let myself be happier. Notice how that is worded, let myself be happier. Happiness is a choice, an outlook on life. Bad things happen to everyone. We can either victimize ourselves or use them as a learning experience.
Essentially, what can be learned from this is to put yourself first. If you have to change yourself to impress or please others, then you are admitting to yourself that they are more important than you. You should be the most important person in your life. Now, this doesn’t mean that we should ignore other people’s needs. It simply means that we should take responsibility for the thoughts we have and the choices we make. We should want to please people out of the love we have for them and not for fear of rejection.
Posted on August 10, 2012, in Negative Emotions, Psychology and tagged be yourself, depression, embarrassment, fear, happiness, how to, life, love, regret, rejection, sadness. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.